Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Some quotes that got me thinking lately...

I can't claim to have a favorite quote because there are just too many good ones out there. But here are a few that I enjoy...

1. One that makes me want to change my life:

"What if the Lord gave you a life-changing experience, and you didn’t change your life?" (Brad Wilcox, BYU Professor)


2. One that makes me want to be a good person:

"Years ago I preferred clever people. There was a joy in beholding . . . a mind . . . bearing thoughts quickly translated into words, or ideas expressed in a new way. I find now that my taste has changed. Verbal fireworks often bore me. They seem motivated by self-assertion and self-display. I now prefer another type of person; one who is considerate, understanding of others, careful not to break down another person's self-respect. . . . My preferred person today is one who is always aware of the needs of others, or their pain and fear and unhappiness, and their search for self-respect. . . . I once liked clever people. Now I like good people." [Solomon Bennett Freehof quoted in Richard Evans' Quote Book (Salt Lake City: Publishers Press, 1971), p. 166]


3. One that gives me hope:

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No it won’t all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good.
(John Mayer, “The Heart of Life”)


4. One that makes me want to always give my best and not waste time, talent, or opportunity:

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." (Steve Prefontaine)


5. One that makes me laugh:

"I just saw Santa walking down the street and surprise, he was black." (Jilly Jensen)


6. One that makes me want to pay the price:

"Do you get answers to your prayers? If not, perhaps you do not pay the price. Do you offer a few trite words and worn-out phrases, or do you talk intimately with the Lord? When you pray do you just speak, or do you also listen?...the Lord has not promised to crash the door...should we ever fail to get answers to our prayers, we must look into our lives for a reason." (Spencer W. Kimball)

1 comment:

Ron and Rachelle said...

Thanks for reminding me of the important things I should be focusing on. It is easy to get caught up in the everythings that we have to do.