Thursday, May 22, 2008

Something We Can Count On

There are some things in life that you just can’t count on. But that makes even more significant the things you can ALWAYS count on.

When President Monson spoke at the Worldwide Leadership Training in February he mentioned what a privilege it is to be a part of something we can count on. He said something that has really stuck with me, “…when we have sampled much and wandered far and have seen how fleeting and sometimes superficial a lot of the world is, our gratitude grows for the privilege of being part of something we can count on…” (February 9, 2008 Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting: Building Up a Righteous Posterity). He was referring to home and family specifically, but I think it applies to all of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I echo his words, it is really a privilege to be part of something we can count on. And to have Someone we can always count on.

It is true that there is much in this world that is temporary, fleeting, superficial, or changing. There are lot of different people, places, jobs, friends, experiences, opportunities, relationships, and moments that come and go in our lives. Every day and season of our life can bring uncertainty or unexpected change. Naturally that leads us to yearn for something of substance, something to hold on to, something to have faith in, something lasting, something eternal…something that we can count on.

There are not many things that have a lasting permanence to withstand time and all eternity. But gratefully we do have something to hold on to. We have our Savior and His precious gospel, our Father in Heaven, and our families. What a blessing it is to know that my family is always there for me and if we hold out faithful to the end there is a promise that this blessing will extend into eternity. And what a blessing to know that my Heavenly Father and Savior are mindful of me and always there for me. I love this quote by President Hinckley:

“We know not all that lies ahead of us. We live in a world of uncertainty. For some, there will be great accomplishment. For others, disappointment. For some, much of rejoicing and gladness, good health, and gracious living. For others, perhaps sickness and a measure of sorrow. We do not know. Like the Polar Star in the heavens, regardless of what the future holds, there stands the Redeemer of the world, the Son of God, certain and sure as the anchor of our immortal lives. He is the rock of our salvation, our comfort, the very focus of our faith. In sunshine and in shadow we look to Him, and He is there to assure and smile upon us.” (President Gordon B. Hinckley, “We Testify of Jesus Christ”, pg. 7, Ensign, March 2008)

Like Ammon, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel when I think about my gratitude for our Savior. He is certain, sure, my Rock, and as mentioned in Ether 12:4, the Anchor of my soul. “Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God.”

Sometimes we cannot even count on ourselves. I often fall so short of the expectations I have for myself and the expectations that I am sure others have of me as well. There are times when I don’t come through, I fall short, I forget, I am late, I am inadequate, I am selfish, I don’t meet my goals, I do stupid things, I make mistakes, and I cannot always be counted on to be everything that I want to be.

I guess something we can count on is that we are less than perfect. And it is for this very reason that we have a Savior. A Constant. A Polar Star. Who stands sure and steadfast. Ready to help. Ready to heal. Ready to carry us. Ready for us to come unto Him. Ready to help us change so that we can become more constant and steadfast like the flawless example He set for us. Ready always that we may count on Him.

I need His presence every passing hour. What but His grace can foil the tempter's power? Who, like our Lord, my Guide and Stay can be? Through cloud and sunshine Lord, abide with me.

Abide with me fast falls the eventide, the darkness deepens, Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, oh abide with me.

Change and decay in all around I see. Oh, Lord who changest not, abide with me (Hymn #166, Abide With Me).

2 comments:

Amy said...

I sure love you, Buddy.

Chris and Jen said...

Your blogs are always thebomb.com. Since I don't feel comfortable calling a spiritual blog "thebomb.com" (really I shouldn't feel comfortable calling anything that) I'll call this one truly uplifting and insightful! Keep up the good work!